WILL I EVER BE NORMAL

"Will I ever be normal? my doctor's reply was "It depends on what you call normal." I said pointing down to the crowd of people going about their business, "Like them." She replied "No, you will, no doubt hopefully with treatment and medication get better, but it will never leave you completely. You will not be like them."

Friday, November 30, 2012

So I am in the middle of changing psychiatrists.  Is there anyone out there who finds this as scary as I do.  I've been displeased with my old one because I have been "off" for over a year now and the meds they have put me on don't seem to help.  They took me off the mood stabilizer that I love (Geodon) and put me on another then added another antidepressant to off set the other one (Wellbutrin) that I have been on for awhile and absolutely love.  When I don't respond to the new meds they are using all they do is increase the dosage-they never tried anything new.  They also put me on Xanax and Klonopin for my anxiety disorder that had reared its ugly head.  I wanted another perspective on what I was taking so I found another doctor.  Now actually going to him and trusting what he said is hard for me to do.  Let's put it this way, I don't handle change well.....at all.  Well to end the suspense, I LOVE my new doctor.  He told me things that I already thought but was afraid to bring up.  I thought I was on too much antidepressant and he agreed with me.  He started weaning me off the Zoloft.  When my old doctor started weaning me off the Lamictal and putting me back on  the Geodon I found my mood was better......that is until the Lamictal was out of my system and the Geodon was all that was left.  I wanted to stay on both but my old doctor thought that wasn't a good idea.  My new doctor thought that if it was helping so why not do it.  So he is slowly getting me back  onto the Lamictal in conjunction with the Geodon.  All of this to say that I am now in the middle of psych-meds roulette.  I'm afraid to see the side effects of being off the Zoloft and I am trying to get off of at least one of the anxiety meds but they are very addictive and it will have to be a SLOW process. 
If your meds don't seem to be working and you have been trying for months, go ahead and take a chance and get a second opinion.  It's just like with any other medical condition, the rule is to always get a second opinion.  I don't know how this will all turn out but it is worth the risk.  If you are having the same problem, write me and let me know how your are handling it and how it all came out.  I want to hear your thoughts and opinions.  I hope we can share our experiences and help each other get the best care we can.  I will keep you updated on my doctor change and my med changes.  What I will say now is that I am petrified of what to expect with the change in meds and how the transition will be.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment